Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Week 4- First Conferences!

Today in class we had our first peer conferences with our journals. I have to admit that I was nervous! Jenn and I shared what we wrote in each entry and then talked about ideas we had for future entries. I feel like this will be a good way for me to get to know my conference buddy throughout the semester, but also to grow as a writer. I like that we get to share ideas we have for our journals because Jenn might come up with something I wouldn't have. I can't wait to see where this takes us throughout the semester!

Also in class, we presented our craft lessons to a small group. I brought in a book called The Great Fuzz Frenzy by Janet Stevens. The book starts off with a dog dropping his tennis ball down a mole hole. The moles marvel at the ball and have to decide what to do with it. The book is GREAT for teaching children about using colorful verbs to improve sentences which is what I presented as my craft lesson. I would highly recommend looking at this book. It was fun and can be educational when learning about writing.

Lastly, I would like to shed some light on a book Linda brought in for the class to read. It was perfect considering we were learning about teaching children punctuation. The book is called Eat, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. It has a brilliant and hilarious way of showing kids the job of punctuation and how commas can change the meaning of a sentence. It had me cracking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment